Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day One. Year Two.

Monday kicked off a brand new start to the school year as a language assistant in Benalmádena Pueblo in the province of Málaga in the region of Andalucía. Can you spot Málaga?

http://www.spainmaster.com/maps/filer/spania_kart_provinser.gif

Now, can you spot Benalmádena?
http://www.netmaps.es/UserFiles/provincia_malaga.jpg

After procrastinating to make adequate adjustments for the time change from WI, I found myself psyched, listening to the Brewers live on espnradio.com and viewing updating stats of the whooping the Pack gave the Broncos, not to mention the Badgers blowing out the Cornhuskers on Sat.  I also had exciting thoughts rolling throughout the night regarding the quickly approaching first day, while also thinking of how great it would be to be home watching the games (with adequate sleep) with my family.  Now I'll just have to do my part and spread the love.

Day 1 Self Interview:

Q. Were you late for your first day?
A. Sort of, I saw my colleague pull off at our designated meeting point in Málaga  as I was waiting for the "it's-all-good-to-cross-now green guy", however we arrived twenty minutes early to the school.

Q. What was the first thing you did after entering the school?
A. Met muchas personas, then sat and waited paitently outside the main office sipping a small café con leche as the staff got organized for the day, and of course making sure to make silly faces and giving thumbs up to the elementary students walking by with looks of curiosity.

Q. What age groups will you be teaching?
A. Man, this one is all over the place...3yo, 5yo, 1st grade, 3rd, 4th and 6th grade plus any teenagers or adults through teaching at a language academy or through private classes, either way wider variety equals more experience!

Q. How was the school's organization in regards to the language assistants?
A. Typical espanish, nobody really knew what was going on and they still didn't have our schedules ready, NBD.  I also have an amazing American colleague there working with me.

Q.  What's your schedule like?
A. Monday (10:30-2) and Tuesday and Wednesday (9-2).

Q. Holy free time, Watcha gonna do with all that free time, all that free time in your...?
A. Teeheetch Engrich ov coarse!  I'll give private English lessons to Spanish folk for a decent wage and perhaps give a few classes at a nearby language academy.  Traveling (travelling if you're British, even though I've seen many Americans spell it this way) will also be at the top of the list to see friendly faces and fascinating places!

Q. How did you choose to live in Málaga and not in Benalmádena where your school is?
A.  Well, I visited my school before I came to the States for 3 weeks and one of my colleagues said she'd have no problem picking me up in Málaga if I were to live there.  Also, since I lived in a small city last year, or rather a large pueblo, I decided I'd switch things up and live in a capital city.  Oh yeah and finding a flat that was a quick five minute walk to the beach was undeniably a determining factor.

That's all for now, but please feel free to leave any questions you may have that I didn't answer here in comments.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment: